Object grouping and organization.

384.24 In reply to 384.22 
> i merely wanted to re-express the direction i understand to be the
> inceptual intent. PLEASE correct me if this is errant.

Hi MadTooler, you've definitely got the inceptual intent down there.

Initially MoI was created to fill a gap that I perceived in the CAD market, where reliance on the keyboard, right and middle click and the scroll wheel caused existing CAD programs to be frustrating to use with only a tablet. As far as I could tell, there just did not exist any CAD software that worked well in this situation. So that provided an opportunity to do something a little different than anything else out there, which is good because I didn't really want to spend a lot of effort in just trying to make a clone of already existing stuff.

But during the development of a UI to fill that niche, I discovered that removing reliance on those elements also just greatly simplified the UI overall even with a mouse, since less stuff tends to be hidden and things are activated more with just simple left-clicks.

This increased general purpose ease of use, and a focus on fluid ease of use and quick results has kind of become the more dominant intent now. But it is not at odds with the use of the stylus, it encompasses that too.

As time goes on, it will be a goal to add additional power and capabilities to the design tools while still maintaining the fluidity and ease of use. This will happen kind of gradually and carefully in certain areas - object grouping and organization is one of these.

> is MoI best suited for large assemblies and/or intensive mechanisms, or is it tooled
> for conceptual yet developable components, or the organic characteristic, or is it
> to be all and more? the application will drive the implementations. our purpose is
> to seed the process.

Right now the toolset is more suitable for somewhat less complex models, quick designs, kind of early stage conceptual work. As time goes on I expect for MoI to be more applicable to larger chunks of the design process, although still slanted more towards the earlier stages. This will be an ongoing and slow evolution though.

Does that give you some more of an overview of some of the design philosophy and history?

- Michael