redraw curve to reduce points

3838.13 In reply to 3838.11 
Hi nos,

> It would help also if the controlpoints would be located
> as similar to the control points of the input object as
> possible. No idea if that would be possible.

I can't see how that would be possible - the way that rebuild in "fit to tolerance" mode works is that it constructs a new curve that tries to only follow the shape of the existing curve and not pay any attention to things like its current control point structure.

It will put more points in areas where the shape has more local details like when it goes around a tighter bend and things like that.

> Second thing, if I use michaels script I can reduce the
> points about 3 times, after that there are no changes.
> Could the script be changes that I could reduce the
> controllpoints as long as the number of controllpoints from
> input and output curve match?

If you want to have a specific control point count, you need to switch to the "Rebuild by number of sampled points" mode for that - that will allow you to specify a specific number of sample points to use, which will get sampled at evenly spaced increments along the existing curve.

The "refit to tolerance" mode uses an automated fitting process which samples points from the original curve as necessary until the rebuilt curve deviates no more than the given distance tolerance from the original.

The refit to tolerance mode does not necessarily reduce the control point count in all cases, sometimes it may even increase the point count if you are starting with a curve that has a very sparse initial control point structure. But if the curve has a dense control point structure it will usually reduce the point count by quite a bit.

Applying the refit to tolerance mode more than one time on the same curve will not really have much effect because it will give the same results for the same shape.

- Michael