Beveled Text

3723.13 In reply to 3723.12 
Hi Steve...

""""""""""I am seeing that as a possible solution to using a single cutter giving a result of a variable depth cut.""""""""

Well yes that is Greybeards ultimate goal. I posted the link for 2 reasons. In the very begining, he gives his method to prgamatically determine centerline for the times new roman charater.. He just iterates through tangent circles then draws a curve through points with the circles center points to create centerline.... The rest of the very arduous thread, gets into some other discussion like you mention, but also touches on the various complexities of "What is really the centerline anyway???"

Here' s the file I was going to present with the initial greybeard iteration:

But that was just blown out of the water with Michaels isec example with some quick trims... Way more work to create each letter with my method...Less than a minute to create the curves with MG's, then some setup for sweeping surfaces....

Found one cool thing in Michaels method... When you run isec...Just click the right mouse button "twice", which will run the isec on the curves a second time and create "points" at their intersections, which helped me visualize the areas I needed to focus on....Bonus!!!

Anyway...

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN