Moi3D is great...but is it what I need?

367.2 In reply to 367.1 
Hi Bluesea, I'm glad that you're having fun using MoI!

> I'm thinking that solid modeling is what I really need (ie, Pro/E,
> Solidworks, etc.) as I want to create part lists for fabrication and
> export sheets to laser cutters and shapes to CNC machines.

Well, a lot will depend on the specific stuff that you're doing - like are you going to run the CNC yourself, are you going to use a service bureau, etc... But yes, those solid modeling packages are very tuned up for dealing with manufacturing so it is possible that you'll need one of those. But it's also possible you might need more of a CAM application, which can be slightly different.

> But Maybe Moi can still be a tool to help me get to where I need to go
> more quickly with the design. Can Moi be exported to Solidworks, etc?

Yup, this is one of the cool parts about MoI - it uses the same type of smooth surface geometry (NURBS) that is used by those solid modeling packages, so you can bring your MoI objects into those systems.

For Solidworks, there is a Solidworks plugin that will read .3dm files (http://www.solidworks.com/pages/products/solutions/Rhino-to-SolidWorks.html), and it is also possible to export .igs files that Solidsworks can read.

MoI is most useful as an early-stage concept design tool for this type of situation. You're much more free and loose to create things in MoI's environment - the solid modelers environment is very powerful for many operations but it tends to force you through fairly rigid stages to construct things, you don't tend to get the same feeling of freedom to draw. And they are quite a bit more complex to use...

> Does anyone know of a good 3d primer talking about what you should actually
> use each type of software for.

Not that I know of really.... Just 3D in general is an awfully broad subject since it is used in a lot of different ways, I mean everything from medical visualization to video games. One pretty major break is whether you are going to manufacture your 3D objects, or whether they are going to be "digital content" as in images or animations. Most applications tend to be focused on only one of these areas.

> AND, most importantly, where does Moi fit into all of these? What does Moi replace or improve on?

Hmmm. Good question! :) It is a bit hard to sum it up in a complete and simple sentence... MoI isn't particularly intended to replace any of those things, it's intended to have a bit of a different flavor, enabling accurate CAD type modeling but with a fast, fluid way of working that is also easy to use. I guess if I had to pick a certain category I would say "quick and easy Industrial Design".

Well, it's getting awfully late here in Seattle, time to go to bed! I'll be back tomorrow.

- Michael