Drag enhancement

3629.3 In reply to 3629.1 
Hi PaQ - so what you are running into there is actually an intentional feature, where if you drag on an unselected object it becomes the isolated single selected object and the drag only applies to it.

The reason for that is to avoid the need to do an extra deselection step when you want to tweak objects.

Here I'll explain it in some detail - say you have a curve like this and you want to tweak some of its control points:

You can move your mouse to one of the control points like this:

And then press down and drag it to move it, like this:

Note that the control point became selected as part of that process.

Now say you want to tweak a different control point - you can now move the mouse over to this other one here:

And you can press down and drag it to move it as well, like this:

So note that when you dragged the second control point, the selection shifted - the previous control point was deselected and the unselected one that you dragged on became the only selection.

From what you were describing, it sounds like you would not want that second control point to become selected when you drag on it. But that would have the bad side effect of forcing you to do 2 additional clicks before the drag - first you would need to do 1 click to deselect everything, then an additional click to select that other control point, before you could then finally drag on that second point to adjust it.

Those additional clicks would really interfere with this kind of simple tweaking process.

I guess it could be possible to add in some kind of special setting in the moi.ini file that would make it behave like you are describing, but it would be a pretty bad system for control point editing or for editing just simple arrangements of objects as well, so I'm not sure that you would really want that.

Any other ideas on how to improve things without causing those bad side effects of so many more clicks required for the tweaking process as shown above?

- Michael