GUI Aesthetics Closed  Locked

3567.59 In reply to 3567.57 
Hi olio,

> I would put the browser button on the left of 'options' or in that row.

On a 1024x768 screen there is not enough room to the left of 'options' to contain the browser button.

That's another GUI problem that pixel-oriented graphic artists often fail to deal with, that users are not all running on the exact same screen that the graphic designer happens to have in front of them.

It's another area where I tend to have to make sacrifices in the UI design.

The payoff is that MoI actually runs for example on a little netbook computer instead of only working on a high resolution desktop machine.

Doing what you suggest here would cause a scroll bar to appear and force the user to scroll the bottom toolbar left and right.

Believe me, it would be hugely easier for me to make a UI design that did not have to run on lower resolution screens, it would change a variety of different things.

This is a pretty good example of how it is easy for someone to not really have an understanding of the various kinds of constraints and tradeoffs that come into play with UI design, it is not the exact same thing as graphic design although they are frequently mistaken for one another by graphic designers.

- Michael