GUI Aesthetics Closed  Locked

3567.58 In reply to 3567.54 
Hi olio,

> About that scalability factor that is very nice, but even if
> you scale the gui up or down you still have the exactly
> same problem of layout, elements need to line up.

Technically it is very difficult to make a system that allows text to scale arbitrarily and to maintain exact lining up of some separate objects.

By making things able to be scaled in size, it just naturally goes along with giving up a bit of "down to the pixel" type spacing.

That's a good example of one of the many kinds of trade-offs that I encounter when designing software - in this case I have judged that being able to scale the UI provides more overall value to more people than having pixel-level control over the kinds of alignments that you were mentioning.

Sometimes it is not possible to solve every single problem all at the same time, you have to prioritize. That can mean that some smaller problems persist because they are a side effect of something else with a greater value.

> I agree this is not something I would look at and disregard
> the software for, but I honestly don't see these errors from
> adobe, autodesk...now I know these are huge corporations
> with probably tens of GUI designers.

They actually don't have the kind of arbitrarily scalable UI that MoI has, and as a consequence they can be difficult to use in many situations, like on a laptop that has a small screen but with a high DPI their buttons are extremely tiny and hard to interact with.

> that is why I am voicing my concern over silly graphical errors

Well, some of the ones you mentioned I agree with, I just have not yet had time to tweak the undo/redo buttons and the min/restore buttons. At some point I'll get to those.

The overall priority of those things has been rather low compared to actually making modeling commands or fixing bugs.

- Michael