GUI Aesthetics Closed  Locked

3567.22 In reply to 3567.21 
Hi Enzo,

> Most people mistake usability aspects of the interface
> with aesthetic and it is true that the usability aspects
> of MOI's GUI are quite impressive, but.. not the look.

I have had feedback from people specifically praising the look and the colors, not just the usability.

Certainly tastes in colors vary and not everyone will be pleased with any single setup.

Because of that fact, it is just not really an area that I have a lot of interest in spending that much time in - no matter what is done to the UI there will always be someone who complains that it does not look nice.

These complaints are very far and few between with MoI, so I have a lot of doubt that this is really a widespread major issue with MoI.

Probably the ideal thing I could do would be to have a couple of different skins to switch between, and maybe in the future I will be able to work on that, but it requires quite a lot of work.

> Ha ha ha well... I can imagine the GUI to look much better
> than now, without being dark, depressing and gloomy :)

Right now it is hard for me to understand something that is currently trapped just in your imagination...

If you have some suggestions or ideas, it would really help a lot if you would make some images to describe them in a more concrete way rather than just making such vague statements.

Your one concrete recommendation to hire a professional has actually already been done...

> I can't be creative in my work if I am distracted unpleasantly
> by interface and what surrounds me in general. Believe me I
> am not happy about that at all and I dare to guess that I am
> not the only one.

Surely you must be exaggerating considerably.

MoI's interface looks pleasant and welcoming, without an "in your face" type look, with easy text readability.

I have a hard time understanding what you would find distracting about it.

> Again, try to distinguish the “ease of use” and “accessibility”
> from aesthetic attractiveness and we will be on the same page.
> You don't have to sacrifice neither of these. I am talking about
> upgrading them with better look.

How specifically would this "upgrade" take place? So far I have seen no images or concrete examples from you.

> I am not certain I understand your point of view. Why I should
> feel offended of the fact that “this focus on ease of use and
> accessibility to "regular people"? I and any other user could
> only appreciate that.

Well, sorry to use this word but most of your complaint seems to be coming from a kind of "pretentious artist who understands style SO much better than other people" kind of a vibe...

That's why it seems like you may be offended by MoI's focus on being more friendly to a wider group of less specialized users rather than targeted at some privileged snobby elite "professional" user...

Sorry, but that's mostly what I get from your statements so far.

If you have something concrete to suggest, by all means show some images or some examples instead of making vague statements.

Try not to exaggerate and claim that MoI's current UI looks so horrible - when you make such grossly exaggerated statements like that it is hard to take what you are saying seriously.

- Michael