GUI Aesthetics Closed  Locked

3567.21 In reply to 3567.14 
To BurrMan:
:) I know. This is quite popular actually and it is one of the most important reasons for the mass skepticism when aesthetic issues are discussed.

To omac12:
The subjective element exists of course, nobody could argue about that. We are not machines. But there are also patterns of reactions, emotions and behavior related to the aesthetic factors. Studding and exploiting these patterns is what this science is about. I know it is not easy explain that. There is noting simple and easy about human psychology and aesthetics in that matter. Most people, even some professionals can not even consciously think on that. They have completely spontaneous and emotional approach to this problems. Even if you try to force them to run the most basic aesthetic analysis they'll typically fail by looking for same simple pragmatic explanation related usually to functionality, witch of course has nothing to do with aesthetics, or they will simply give up by stating “everything is about personal taste and that is that!”. Well not everything. We know that know. It is unpleasant for all of us to realize that our reaction about things we don't quite understand very often follow common patterns, but it is true and it is commonly used by developers.

To Michael:
>Well, it's funny you mention that, because I did actually hire a interface professional

Sounds good!

>most people find the UI as a whole to actually be the single biggest positive thing about MoI!

Most people mistake usability aspects of the interface with aesthetic and it is true that the usability aspects of MOI's GUI are quite impressive, but.. not the look.

>Some people seem to like a "dark & depressing", "super professional gloomy gothic"

Ha ha ha well... I can imagine the GUI to look much better than now, without being dark, depressing and gloomy :)

>But frankly, I find it pretty weird that you would completely stay away from using MoI because the color of the UI is not "professional" enough..

I can't be creative in my work if I am distracted unpleasantly by interface and what surrounds me in general. Believe me I am not happy about that at all and I dare to guess that I am not the only one.

>MoI is generally meant to be a tool that is easier for people with less experience to use. If it offends you that MoI has this focus on ease of use and accessibility to "regular people" then it probably is not going to be the right program for you.

Again, try to distinguish the “ease of use” and “accessibility” from aesthetic attractiveness and we will be on the same page. You don't have to sacrifice neither of these. I am talking about upgrading them with better look.

>If it offends you that MoI has this focus on ease of use and accessibility to "regular people" this focus on ease of use and accessibility to "regular people"

I am not certain I understand your point of view. Why I should feel offended of the fact that “this focus on ease of use and accessibility to "regular people"? I and any other user could only appreciate that.

> it probably is not going to be the right program for you.

Still I hope you will consider my suggestion and don't give up on me and many other potential users willing to work with pleasant looking software. Non the less I think MOI deserves that.