Sweep Problem

3564.6 In reply to 3564.5 
Hi armin, I'm sorry it's kind of difficult for me to follow your post,

For example, you write:

> If you go into FRONT view and than look at the surface on
> the right hand side, you can see it looks much cleaner.

I went to the Front view, but I'm not exactly sure what I am supposed to be comparing.

In the front view I see a bunch of things, you have a solid and some surfaces and they are all kind of stacked up together from that view so it is not exactly clear to me what you are referring to.

But you seem to be referring to that same surface that I wrote about earlier here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3564.3

That surface did not get very many triangles in its display mesh, so it ends up being displayed in a coarse manner.

That's only a display artifact, not actually a problem in your surface.

Having a small number of triangles leads to some flat areas in the display, that's what the artifact is.

That makes an appearance like this:

And as you noticed from the side view a too coarse display mesh can look like this:

That's just another view of the same display mesh problem - the display mesh has areas with not enough triangles in it, some pieces got enough and some areas did not, making a slightly inconsistent profile view there.

That is just part of the same display artifact that I described earlier.

If you export to a polygon mesh format, ensuring that you get enough polygons, this is what that exact same surface looks like:

So again, it's just the same advice I wrote previously - that part that you are worried about there is just a display artifact where not enough triangles were made in that particular area to make a nice looking realtime view of the surface.

The actual surface itself is not jaggedy or broken like that, it's just the display mesh that is jaggedy.

This display artifact can happen in areas where there is only a shallow amount of curvature in the surface.

- Michael