Problem scripting a 'trim' operation

3541.33 In reply to 3541.32 
Hi Dave,

> As I said before, there also appears to be a somewhat
> more annoying related issue, presumably with the trim
> factory, whereby the MoI UI ends up in some kind of picking
> mode at the end of a script.

That's probably another side effect from the Trim factory being currently designed to work with the interactive command.

When you call generateFragments(), it sets a property called "Selection lock" on all the other objects in the geometry database. Selection lock prevents objects from having their selection changed - that helps with the Trim command because it wants you to select some of the fragments that were generated and not other objects in the model.

Selection lock is automatically cleared from everything in the cleanup step that happens when a command ends. That step is not happening with your procedural calls since you are not using them within the "command" framework.

Try something like geometryDatabase.getObjects().unlockSelection(); although that will only remove it from top-level objects, you may need to do something like put all objects and all their sub-objects also into a object list and then call .unlockSelection() on that big object list.

> Also, I've noticed that some factories alter the selection
> setting of other, unrelated geometry. Can you confirm this?

Yeah, this is what is happening in Trim. It looks like the only other one that I can find with a quick look that would also do it is Fillet when you are filleting the corners of a single curve, there is a vertex selection step there and that works similar to the fragment selection in Trim.

These various things you're running into are basically side effects from things being primarily set up and tested for use with the regular interactive commands.

- Michael