Problem scripting a 'trim' operation

3541.21 In reply to 3541.20 
Just another update...

With the recent addition of the 'reset'/'cancel' calls, I'm finding my procedural scripting API is much more robust and stable now. In fact, I'm no longer seeing the last problem I mentioned, about MoI ending up in the strange 'command-like' state after running a script. As a result, I have been able to iterate really quickly now while developing my current script (since like I mentioned on another thread, I dynamically load my scripts while MoI is running).

So this is mainly a "food for thought" post for Michael...

Using my procedural API, I am finding that writing scripts many times is more like functional programming than standard procedural programming. That is, scripts tend not to have any explicit loops, but operate on lists of objects. So in many cases, ObjectList's are the "lingua franca" of the scripting world. Of course, at the lower levels of the procedural library, there are routines that must operate on the contents of the lists. In many cases, the operation that must be performed is to merge two lists into one. This can potentially create a performance bottleneck, since (as far as I know) the only way to do this is via the 'addObject' method on an ObjectList. Since Javascript (in IE) is not all that fast, I would propose adding an 'addObjects' method to ObjectList, which would add all of the objects in its ObjectList argument to the receiving ObjectList (similar to the 'addObjects' method on the GeometryDatabase object). Presumably this would be trivial to implement, but would better leverage the performance advantage of C++ over Javascript for this common scripting operation.

Again, this is just a suggestion, so feel free to take it or leave it :-)

- Dave Morrill