Problem scripting a 'trim' operation

3541.17 In reply to 3541.15 
> So the key thing is you have to have an object list in input 2, even if it does
> not have any objects in it. That's just a quirk of how Trim happened to be written,
> it fails if it could not retrieve the object list holding the selected fragments that
> came from the object picker in the regular trim workflow.

Hmm...after reading this encouraging response, I re-examined my 'trim' function and found that this was more or less what I was doing. However, it did take quite a bit more experimentation to get it to work (more or less) correctly. After much additional fiddling around and testing, I found that the following code seems to work (from a procedural perspective):

function trim ( objects, cutters, extend_lines, project_intersections ) {
var trimmer = factory( 'trim', as_list( objects ), as_list( cutters ),
object_list(), 'remove', arg( extend_lines, false ),
arg( project_intersections, true ) );
var result = trimmer.generateFragments();
var result = trimmer.calculate();
trimmer.reset();

return result;
}

The things to note about this code are:

- I bind an empty ObjectList to input 2 (fragments), but never look at it again.
- The call to 'calculate' produces the expected 'fragments' list to return.
- You MUST call 'reset' on the trim factory, otherwise the internal state of MoI gets really messed up (but doesn't crash). What I got was some fragments that could never be deleted using the UI, but moving them created new clones that could be deleted (weird). Putting the 'reset' call in fixed that behavior.

After my experience with finding that it was necessary to call 'reset' to get 'trim' to behave correctly, I began to investigate the problem I was seeing with weird 'ghost' objects when using other factories. What I found there was that the following code seems to work well for other factories (such as 'line'):

...set up factory and initialize it...
var result = f.calculate();
f.cancel();

return result;

Note that (at least in the case of 'line', which I've been doing the testing on), the call to 'cancel' seems to cure the problem with weird ghost objects showing up on the display (but a call to 'reset' did not fix the problem in this case).

In any case, this exercise seems to have made my procedural interface a little more reliable in the results it produces, so thanks again for all the explanations...

- Dave Morrill