MOI3D to Octane Render Tutorial

3472.34 In reply to 3472.33 
I'm not an Octane user (sadly, as I don't have a suitable card) but the vertex normals thing is something that seems to affect a great many of the 3D apps out there.

I am creating a ship model for a customer and the original brief required a pretty tight poly count. In order to achieve the count I exported individual obj's from MoI with a view to texture mapping in a poly modeller, merging the parts and exporting again as one obj. You would not believe the number of apps which cant handle this and create ugly faceted smoothing. Almost *all* of the UV & modelling apps I tried ignore the vertex normals in the file and seem to apply their own (incorrect) smoothing. So I feel your pain. This situation has been traumatic and has cost me a ton of time to find a workaround and is no fault of MoI's.

I can count on one hand the apps which worked for me...

1. UVMapper Pro
2. Milkshape
3. 3dsMax Trial (which of course, I can't use commercially)
4. Modified Blender script by Michael (which has issues instead with materials being mis-assigned)
5. Simlab trial
6. Probably 3D Paint Brush (trial expired)

Milkshape has a frustrating 65k poly limit but produces a nicely shaded model... for $35.

Why I wonder, are so many of these otherwise excellent tools crippled in this way?

Mark

(Looking at the above, I seem to have 6 fingers on one hand!)