MOI3D to Octane Render Tutorial

3472.10 In reply to 3472.9 
Hi Phil,

Thanks for taking the time to create this tutorial.
I'm following it to export and render a little turntable of one of my model right now with the new beta.

I'm wondering if any enhancement will be done into Octane regarding the vertex normal info coming from MoI,
or if things will stay in the actual state.

When reading the tutorial, it sounds like Octane actually manage this normal info :
- from the .pdf - : Check the "import per material smooth value" and "use OBJ vertex normals if supplied". This will allow Octane to use the high quality vertex normals.

If it means : Octane will use the vertex normal embeded in the .OBJ file to create a nice and accurate shading from you object : it's WRONG ...
As showed and discuss during days here and on the Octane forum, the vertex normal info is overwritted.

That's actually why you suggest to use the 'divide larger than' option in the tutorial to 'help' octane to deal with some surfaces ... if the vertex normal was rightly used, this
option would not be needed, at all.

If you do some research on MoI forum, especially about MoI to 3Dsmax 1 or 2 years ago, you will see that this 'divide larger than' is often used to deal with export into 3d software where this precious normal info is lost.

These are 'poor' workarounds, not solutions from my pov ...

... and advertising Octane as a 'Moi/Rhino ready render is not very fair.

Again, I support this render engine as much as I can, and I don't want to sound negative etc. ... but it's really frustrating that no one from the Octane team seems to understand the problem.