vrml export

3406.2 In reply to 3406.1 
Hi d3print - currently I don't have any plans for VRML support, since it is a kind of obsolete and not often used format these days. It was initially intended to be used by web browsers a long time ago but it never really took off.

Is there some particular application that you're using that is focused on VRML instead of on the more commonly used OBJ format?

If so you may want to contact the program's authors and ask that they add in support for the OBJ file format, which is much more widely used by a lot of 3D programs these days.

> or is it possible to save *.3ds in colors?

Not yet - in MoI v2 it is possible to save color information to either the OBJ or LWO mesh file formats.

Possibly in MoI v3 I may be able to extend that to some additional file formats.

But 3DS is also another really old and pretty much obsolete format as well, it has quite a few limitations in it from the old 16-bit computing days, like there can't be more than about 65000 vertices in any single mesh since parts of the file format structure only use 16-bit integers. Also it supports only triangles and not many-sided polygons and it even has old fashioned file naming limitations like texture filenames limited to only 8 characters long as in old MS-DOS. Additionally it does not have any way to store vertex normal shading information so it is hard to avoid shading glitches.

So I kind of hate to spend much effort on it when there are better formats like OBJ that don't have all those kinds of limitations in them.

- Michael