Any octane user ? Closed  Locked

3386.94 In reply to 3386.93 
I'm sorry, BurrMan, that you feel that people who are paying 1/2 price for a full version 1.0 license before it's released is somehow "evil" or "wrong". I've pre-ordered many software games before they were released and waited with NOTHING until the box hit the store shelves and I received my copy. Many beta's are free, yes. I frankly would have jumped all over the chance to get MOI for $100 while it was in Beta after I tried it. I would have had no problem with that. I saw the vision of the software and when the licenses were available I jumped on it. If I could have gotten it for 1/2 the price a couple of months before...that would have been great!

People can download Octane and try it out. If they like it, they can participate on the beta program. The funds raised have allowed us to get the hardware necessary to support Windows, Linux and Mac OSX along with multi-GPU support. It has also allowed us to expand with more programmers to finish the project and track down bugs faster than previously.

There are other GPU rendering engines that don't even support MOI nor are attempting to. They didn't and don't have a demo. You could not get a full version 1 license prior to full release. Would you prefer we were like that?

We are trying to keep the price low and in reach of the hobbyist as well as supporting the small studio. We are actively trying to make it so MOI3D is supported properly in Octane.

I'm also sorry if you think that Octane is super buggy. There is no doubt that Michael has done a fantastic job in the way that MOI3D has been developed and rolled out. Unfortunately, writing software to run on a GPU is pretty complicated. There is a reason why you don't see every little renderer on the block on the GPU. It's all new territory and I am proud to work on the project.

MOI3D and Octane have been two pieces of software that have revolutionized how I work, and for that I am thankful for both programmers for their vision and dedication to these tools.

Phil Beauchamp
Refractive Software