3 point arc tool

3380.2 In reply to 3380.1 
Hi Jamie, the part that's difficult about that is the general case of just trying to make an evenly spaced 3rd point, there are actually an infinite number of different points that could satisfy that.

For instance if drawing an arc through 3 points, with #1 below as the start point, and #2 as the "on" point:

Then there are a whole variety of different points that would make a "balanced" arc, like this:

So for the general case there isn't a good place to put a single snap point because there isn't just one solution.

I guess you may be talking about making a snap point that kind of takes the Y axis of the construction plane into special consideration so making one kind of orientation of the arc to have a special weight to it? That would be quite a departure from the other drawing tools, I don't think there is any other drawing tool that currently provides a special weight towards having it in one certain orientation or position...

One thing that I want to explore in the future is to have a "symmetry" draw helper, where you could activate one line as being the line of symmetry and then with that mode turned on various draw tools could change their behavior, and probably one of the changes could be that the arc 3 point tool would actually get completed by just drawing 2 points and having the 3rd be placed automatically around the symmetry axis.

But I'm not so sure about doing that kind of implicit directional symmetry just by default...

- Michael