Tool Draft

3342.12 In reply to 3342.11 
Hi Hamish, thanks for posting the example, that helps a lot to understand what you are describing.

quote:
'Push Done to taper all sides [side-faces?] or Select sides
[side faces?] to extrude normal.'

I see - but unfortunately that would add considerable complexity in my implementation.

One problem is that I don't believe the geometry library that I use is set up with a function that would do a "partial taper" like that - it has something to extrude an outline in with a draft angle (which I plan on hopefully being able to use to implement this in MoI) but it does not have any kind of "exceptions" set up in it to make only some pieces be straight and some tapered.

So to do what you ask would probably require writing a completely new geometry generation mechanism from scratch, which tends add a lot of difficulty and time involved.

So I'm sorry but likely when I get a chance to add in a tapered/draft angle extrude, I probably will not be able to do the partial draft feature in it.

It looks like you could get the result you wanted though by having your base curve extend towards that "non-tapered" side a bit, and then after doing a full tapered extrusion you could just slice off the part that you did not want by boolean difference with a line. Or for that particular kind of case with a right-angled join to the adjacent pieces I think you could leave out that segment from the tapered extrusion and then do a regular non-tapered extrude of it to get the result.

quote:
Regarding feedback and suggestions in general, could you or have you considered a www.uservoice.com or www.getsatisfaction.com account to enable users to easily see, find and vote on what features other users would like to see in upcoming releases, rather than both you and us, (especially us) searching the forum?

Actually, I have a wishlist already set up here:
http://moi3d.com/wiki/Wishlist

If you'd like to add a vote, you can set up an account on the wiki and add your entry in to that list.

But it's also fine to just post your requests here in the forum, it's ok to just start a new topic and post in it without necessarily needing to search for any previous discussions. If you do want to search, just searching that wiki wishlist would do fine for that.

Just a simple "count the votes" mechanism is not really that great for me, for instance if you just placed a vote for "tapered extrusion" instead of posting here about it, I probably would not have ever received the information about the specific details that you were hoping to have in it.

- Michael