Inset Command

3295.9 In reply to 3295.8 
Hi NightCabbage, no problem!

> I'm not sure why! If it happens again I might post the 3dm file...

It can easily run into difficulty when thickening pieces made up of more than one surface, if the surfaces do not all attach to one another in a very regular angular pattern.

In cases like that you may need to separate the model into individual surfaces and thicken those surfaces - the thickening of a single surface should not run into the same kinds of difficulties.

Hopefully in the future it will be possible to thicken multi-surface objects more easily than what is done currently, but it will need a pretty big upgrade to the shelling component in the geometry library that MoI uses which is licensed from another company. I do have a request in to them with several examples to ask to improve this area, I'm not sure when that will happen though.

Shelling a solid works in a different way than trying to thicken a surface, so sometimes instead of thickening a surface you may want to finish the surfaces into a basic solid, then perform the shell on the solid. The sheller is more able to make clean matching pieces when there are side walls available to cut pieces with.

- Michael