New GPU Render: Arion - FryRender

3240.2 In reply to 3240.1 
since Octance announced their renderer, Arion/Randomcontrol had to make some noise too :)

From the Arion faq:

Q.- When will Arion be released?

A.- When it's done.

they have been saying that for years?

The price of Arion will be coherent with the performance and features of the package, and the fact that Arion is next-gen technology. There will be licensing options designed to cover a wide range of needs, depending on the hardware at your disposal.

even Autodesk has a more friendly pricing structure :) I also notice SWAP is 345 € ( that is just a feature that should be included in fry)...just greedy IMO.

BUT for me the biggest disadvantage is CUDA... I certainly don't want to have to worry about which card I'm using and from which company...perhaps OpenCL it may prove to be a better solution in long run(?).
Also CUDA it's very hard to develop software for it and perhaps one of the reasons why it has been taking them (randomcontrol) SO LONG...also take a look at nVidia's iRay solution even that is far from reality :)

anyhow all those solutions are just a hype for the time been except if you are WETA or any other big VFX studio.

EDITED: 15 Jan 2010 by NEO