Altering or deforming Moi objects in a polygon app (C4D)

3238.2 In reply to 3238.1 
Interesting question.

I typically use MoI for mechanical models which typically don't require deforming that much except for things like screw threads, spiral staircases etc., but even those can be constructed in MoI sans deformations without too much fuss.

Unless you're exporting quads & tris or strictly tris, NGons aren't too friendly with bend and twist operations so just like with NURBS, you may still be stuck depending on your poly app.

The best (time consuming) advice I can offer is to create your base objects in MoI and then perhaps retopologize them using say TopoGun or 3D-Coat (or a plugin) down to a pure quad (something that is SDS modeler friendly) or triangle topology.

Then you should be able to perform any kind of bend, twist, etc., operation your modeler supplies.

Granted you can get quad/tris or straight tris out of MoI directly if you're not too concerned about the resultant topology.

-Will

PS - C4D has some great deformation operators but I still believe you need to eliminate all ngons before you can expect to get workable results.

Now if your ngons are away from the areas being deformed, then sure, give it a try. Subdivided objects are best for deformations and like I suggested, only manual retopo will get you the pure quads you need for subdivision from your base objects.

EDITED: 13 Jan 2010 by WILLBELLJR