Feature request - unnamed objects in object tab

3220.9 In reply to 3220.7 
Hi Tony, unfortunately often times stuff in the UI needs to be truncated in order to fit better, longer labels on things tend to cause problems especially when translated into some other languages.

That's why it is not unusual for labels to be shortened like that.

Just having "Names" for the title is probably not sustainable long term because there will at some point be other kinds of named things as well like named views, named cplanes, named drawing sheets, etc... So there definitely needs to be some emphasis in the label that it is about named _objects_ specifically.

The other thing that is meant to be a clue to this behavior is if you open it when you have no named objects, it looks like this:

So notice there that it specifically references named objects...

> But it isn't a list of objects at all, is it?

Yeah it's not a list of all objects, it is a list of named objects...

> It is really a list of names as there can be many, many objects
> in the file that don't show up in this tab.

Certainly, just like later on with Groups there will potentially be many objects in the model that have not been assigned to a group and so therefore will not show up in the groups section.

This is really no different than that - the intention of the Objects section is to let you have quick and easy access to objects that you have given a name...

> To see what I mean, please try this. <....>

But I don't see how this is going to be any different with Groups - in the future when there are groups and you decide to use groups to organize some of your objects and then create some new ones that are not grouped, you're going to see exactly the same thing that you are describing here...

The solution in both cases would be the same - use some other section like Types > All objects if you want to see the status of every single object in your scene rather than the status of some particular named objects which is what the Objects section does.

I mean the Objects section does not say "All Objects" on its label either...

You can actually edit the name if you want - the name comes from \ui\EnglishStrings.txt, line 643:

Scene browser objects section=Objects

You can edit that to say:

Scene browser objects section=Names

- Michael