Unable to detect direct3d9 device?

322.8 In reply to 322.6 
Hi Brovic, thanks for reporting this issue.

The next time you trigger it, can you please maximize the window, then hold down the ctrl key and click on the "MoI" label in the upper-right corner, to the left of the minimize/maximize/close buttons? This will bring up a debug menu, please pick the "Show log" entry, select the log text, ctrl+c, then ctrl+v into a reply here. This should help tell me what specific Direct3D function is failing.

My guess is that it is related to running out of video memory when changing the viewport window size.

When the size of the viewports changes, MoI has to re-allocate a new back buffer for rendering. This comes from video memory which is a limited resource. MoI is supposed to be releasing the old memory first , but perhaps something is going wrong there, I will check that out a bit. But it is also possible that your driver is not doing a good job of managing the memory and is magnifying the problem. So a driver update wouldn't be a bad idea.

This is not a very typical problem - this is the first time I've heard of this problem where it comes and goes.

Anyway, if you can let me know what that log says it might help narrow it down somewhat.

One part I'm not too clear on - does this only happen in a session when you are actively manipulating the UI size? What happens if you set the UI size to 9, then shut down MoI and start up a new session and don't mess with the UI size, does it work at size 9 then or do you also see the problem in a new session where you leave the UI size alone?

- Michael