Booleans with open surfaces?...

Hi Michael, I think you've misunderstood some of my statements in my post.

This post was a realization for me that I still don't model or have the modeling mindset of someone who is well versed in NURBS modeling and a question about MoI's current status with surface editing.

Yes, I realize I can do surface editing with MoI as it is now, and yes, I realize I can join / trim surfaces etc.

I had stated that I've mostly shied away from doing more surface modeling (or working with open surfaces) due to having I guess, bad experiences with Rhino trying to attach different surfaces in the past. I've learned a lot since then especially after moving to MoI.

I also noted that I feel my biggest weakness is not creating and using more curves for defining my objects - especially curves drawn from multiple views. I still find it hard sometimes to start a curve clicking a point in say the top view but having it line up to another position in the side view port. Which leads to me making a mental note that I should perhaps use more point objects for reference (and practice more)...

I still avoid surfaces (now) because previously when exporting them out to polys, the normals would be flipped on some of my objects upon import into my poly apps.

I don't know if you've fixed this in the latest revisions of MoI so I've always tried to make everything solids while I work in MoI and delete faces in my poly apps.

So that was the final question I asked - is it okay to work with (and export) open surfaces?

-Will