Booleans with open surfaces?...

3197.6 In reply to 3197.1 
Hi Will,

> I realize this his how NURBS modeling is typically done

Well, just to confuse you further that's one approach.

It's funny to see modeling software called Solidthinking and this guy shows you mainly surface modeling, from an engineering point when CAD started in 3d we modeled in wireframe only, we built up 3d objects with curves in a 3d environment for visualisation of the product and made 2d working drawings from that, then surfaces come into it and the modeling technique was exactly like the video you showed (apart from the history editing) and that was the '80s, then came solids, where the model is represented as a volumetric mass which most NURBS modelers use today along with the surfacing tools.

It depends on the software and the person driving it, for example, Michaels tutorials of the starburst, crown of clubs and six-legged pod are a solid modeling approach where Michael creates solid masses and fuses (Boolean) them together.
So it really depends on the model, like if you modeled the 'six-legged pod' with the surface approach, I think it would take you much longer to model, that's why solids is so nice all the trims and joining is done for you, on the other hand if designing a car in NURBS, predominantly the body would be made using surfacing tools.

I'd say have a look at other videos of different 3d solid modeling software and you'll see different techniques.

Hope this hasn't discouraged you any, but if you enjoy it stick with it.

This is what the forum is for, if you have something in mind, post it and you'll see the different techniques that people will use, not that any of the techniques will be wrong or right, if the outcome is the same then it's up to you what technique feels more comfortable, I used to tell the Toolmaking apprentices this when they were confused when different tradesmen would show them different methods in achieving the same thing.

Cheers
~Danny~