Booleans with open surfaces?...

I gleaned a lot of NURBS thought process from watching this solidThinking video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2YyWaCfQPw

Again I see I'm cursed from a past of starting with polygons before getting a hold of NURBS (Rhino at first and now MoI).

Everything up till about 03:20 seems like it's directly applicable while using MoI.

Even though he's making a watch, I can see myself using this technique for making my spaceship hulls way more interesting by making different shapes and joining them (bools and fillets) to the main hull. (I still mostly try to get my desired shapes from the earlier stages instead of adding components later...)

I also like how he creates his cutting planes, shapes and curves them first before he trims and cuts.

The way he's easily joining surfaces to me feels like he has somewhat more freedom then what is required of us now with MoI (solids).

I realize this his how NURBS modeling is typically done (especially seeing someone else do it is inspiring) but I still model in a clunky fashion coming from a polygon mindset - I haven't achieved NURBS nirvana like in this video yet...

I know that currently MoI's booleans behave better when working with closed surfaces / solids so attempting techniques like this now might not be that fruitful.

Michael, will MoI in the future work as easily with open surfaces as with solids - similar to say this video, or will we always need to use solids so things like the booleans and normal directions come out properly?

-Will