Some thoughts on a NURBS to Poly workflow with MoI

And now for a few ideas and suggestions to Michal. As my whole section on cleanup shows, MoI makes good enough meshes, but it makes a lot of the same choices that often aren’t helpful. Maybe adding some mesh cleanup actions that can automate much of what I’m doing now will help speed up my (and others who do things this way) workflow. Nothing can think for me, but some things are just click-click-click actions over and over.

First up, check the mesh for vertexes that only have two edges leaving them. These are useless and need deleting.

Next, check the mesh for T junctions inside surfaces. They often aren’t helping and need removal, but sometimes help when you get to a surface boundary and need another loop to join things up right. Thus for now, just complete the T-junction loop to the edges of the surface; but keep track of which loops that are made this way.

Now check for T-junctions on surface to surface boundaries. Often I’ve seen that they’re close but not close enough. Adding an option to weld these within a certain distance would help. Now take a look at the T-junction loops that were made in the last step but that didn’t weld to anything. They’re probably useless, but might be desirable to keep. A toggle switch between “remove” and “keep” should suffice.

Last is planer surfaces. You mentioned that you were looking at ways to trying to line up the poly edges when a planer-ish surface meets another surface. That would be quite nice. Add to that some actions for planer caps; circular and any regular sided object besides a square have all the edge verts collapse to the center and quads have them go to the other side.

Again, these won’t make bad meshes into good, but will help to make good meshes into very good ones.