V2 beta Dec-19-2009 available now

3179.5 In reply to 3179.4 
Thanks Danny!

So some chunks of that new orientation stuff come from that previous discussion where you had asked about using separate instances of MoI and cplanes as a way to do a kind of separate "part modeling" + assembly type approach. (back here: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2599.17)

So hopefully this new feature set should enable that kind of workflow that you were asking about there, it would be great to hear how it works for that when you get a chance to try it!

But the other good part is that the toolset seems to be complete enough to enable other things as well, like making library "part" files to import and place onto objects, and just transforming objects within a single model.

It also should be integrated with cplanes in several aspects, like if you have a cplane set then it will become the base reference frame of the part when copied to the clipboard with a regular Ctrl+C, or if you copy with Ctrl+Shift+C to set the base origin point, the axis directions will still come from the current cplane. Let me know if there is any type of cplane integration that is missing.

I think as a set it should allow solving a variety of similar problems in a cohesive way, but I'm interested to hear how it feels to others in practice though...

- Michael