fascia

3174.4 In reply to 3174.1 
Hi eric, so for your fascia I don't think sweep is going to be able to do it for the reasons mentioned above.

But here are some alternate steps that still work on things in a kind of larger batch and so are likely to be much faster than going around piece-by-piece.

To start with, I made a flattened plan version of the path, like this:

The easiest way to do that is to go to a side view, and grab a corner grip of the edit frame:

And just drag it downwards until you get the "flat" snap. Hold down Ctrl if you want to make a copy of the object (which I did in this case):

Then I used Edit/Separate to break up the original path, and kept only these 2 full profile pieces from the one end, which I extended slightly:

Then use Offset with the "Cap ends" option to thicken that into a closed curve like this:

Also use Offset on the flattened plan outline:

So now you've got 2 thickened curves that look like this:

Believe it or not, this is all ready to produce a result!

Just select the side piece:

Now run Construct > Boolean > Intersection, when it prompts you to Select second object set, select the 2 plan curves and push Done or right-click and pow! here you go:

I've attached an example model as eric_fascia_example.3dm if you want to check it out.

This works because MoI's booleans are able to work with planar curves and give the same result as if the pieces were extruded into solids. You could also extrude each piece and then do boolean intersection between the extrusions, but that is not necessary since the booleans can handle the same thing automatically.

Does that possibly give you a quick way to get an acceptable result rather than going through segment-by-segment constructing things?

It is still not completely identical to your original (where you had some different structures around some joint areas) but it seems like it is the right overall shape that you are probably looking for?

(also note that I just offset by some arbitrary distance, I did not use the proper distance there to exactly match your model)

- Michael