fascia

3174.13 In reply to 3174.12 
Hi Pilou, yes I still have some work to do for the mitering, especially on curved segments (see this previous post: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3170.40)

But one other thing to keep in mind is that often times fonts are made up of poor quality geometry, which you cannot see very easily when it is only being drawn as 2D ink, but which become much worse when used for analytic purposes such as intersections, etc...

For example if you use Edit/Separate on your path curve, you will see that it is made up of a whole bunch of fragmentary little pieces like this:

That's not good to have such a messy and chaotic base structure.

If you try the attached version (Mister2.3dm) where I used the Rebuild command on your curves to do some cleanup on them, you should see a much better result already.

I am going to be working on improving the intersection mechanism, but even after that is done it is still going to be fairly sensitive to having poor quality input curves, you will likely still need to prepare better quality input paths for it to be able to do a good job even in the final release version.

Text shapes coming directly from fonts in general are difficult - a combination of many sharp corners and tight areas as well as poor quality geometry tend to make it not a very reliable area for more complex calculations, especially things that involve extensions and then intersections of extensions, such as filleting or also this mitering mechanism falls into a similar category as that.

- Michael