Multi core support ?

3166.17 In reply to 3166.15 
Hi Ola, actually I'm kind of confused about your last message here.

Earlier you wrote that the import took between 3-10 minutes, and that at export time, mesh generation took 1 minute, and saving to the file was nearly instantaneous.

So that adds up to about 11 minutes of time, but you also wrote that along with scaling and positioning it would take you between 15-60 minutes to complete each model.

That means that it is taking you nearly 50 minutes to do just the scaling and moving part, is that actually correct?

I had assumed that you were seeing some kind of long pause after each scale or move, which I thought could be related to undo unit generation with a very heavy model. But in your most recent message you mention that decreasing the display mesh generation helped to speed up that process - however the only thing that will actually speed up is the screen redraw, not undo unit generation.

So when you were talking about it taking you a long time to do the moving and scaling part, do you mean that it is just the screen redraw that is going too slow?

One thing to note is that your screen redraw is much more dependent on your video card than on the number of CPU cores you have - do you possibly have some kind of underpowered video card on your machine?

Anyway, if your dynamic screen redraw is a problem the steps that I described previously where you can do transforms by just typing in the scale factor with the keyboard rather than moving the mouse around should help out a lot to get things done with much fewer screen redraws during the process.

You may also want to hide edges (use the "Types" section in the Scene Browser as a way to do this quickly) which can also help to speed up the display a lot - in many cases drawing the edge curves of models is actually the most time consuming part.

But it is not entirely clear to me exactly what you are running into with the moving and scaling part, if you could possibly describe what you are seeing in a bit more detail that could possibly help.

- Michael

EDIT: I see now in your original message that you have an GeForce 8800GT card - that's certainly a good card and for normal uses should be really fine. But if you are working at a particularly high complexity level you may think about upgrading it to get better 3D display performance, I think that card is part of the GeForce 8 generation of cards, and as you can see at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce, there are some newer generations since then... It is possible that a more up to date card could help you if your problem is mostly related to display speed with high density models.

EDITED: 11 Jan 2010 by MICHAEL GIBSON