Multi core support ?

3166.12 In reply to 3166.11 
Hi Ola, actually it sounds like your machine is all working properly.

quote:
Edit: I noticed that during the build of LWO inside Moi, all 8 cores are working 100%. By that, I mean when I select LWO in the export saving options, the Meshing Options panel opens, and the build up of the model does its thing.

Yeah, actually that's the part that is multi-core enabled, the mesh generation part.

After the mesh has been generated and you want to write the LWO file to disk, that disk writing part will not use multiple cores anymore. Writing data to disk tends to be an inherently sequential function and is not really suited for the use of multiple cores.

But that disk writing part of the export process should not take hours and hours like the mesh generation part could sometimes take up in v1.

Are you seeing a long delay (like over 5 minutes say) for the final export step?

If you are working with large files, there is just a whole lot of data being processed, you will need some level of patience even on a fast machine. I've done a lot of work in v2 to shorten the overall time from multiple hours hopefully down to some number of minutes though. But that still does not mean that it will be instantaneous, you must still be patient enough to wait for some time on large data sets.

Could you give me some idea of how long the whole process is taking for you? There are basically 3 different stages - first the import of the file, then at export there will be 2 additional stages, a mesh generation phase (this is where multiple cores are used), and then the final stage is actually writing the mesh data to disk. How long are each of these stages taking for you?

If you are working with extremely large files, you might want to uncheck the "Weld vertices along edges" option at export time (on the expanded mesh options dialog, click the little arrow in the lower left corner of the dialog), which will avoid one other piece of processing during the writing the data to disk stage.

- Michael