Evaluating NURBS modeling software

Hello,

I think my comments are not so much trying to convince you as they are my impressions. I got demos of both packages, and ended up with MoI. Rhino for me seemed to be overwhelming to some extent, too much going on in the interface. While I don't like to think I'm lazy, I much preferred the clean interface of MoI.

While in terms of features MoI has less at this point, I really think a strong + for MoI is the developers closeness to the users for feedback, requests, education, and implementation. Being in the IT field I have never seen such attention to the customer as with this solution. As a direct result of this, the software has saved me hundreds of hours in cleanup tasks alone (ex. silhouette support... next I hope is hidden line removal).

In addition, I tend to agree more with the measured procedure that is being taken advancing the MoI feature set. I found myself digging through Rhino in order to get where I needed to be, where MoI seemed to get me modeling faster. For me, it is just easy to use, of course my brain might be wired to be more accepting of this type of modeling, as I always had more trouble with poly.

Pricing is a no-brainer, MoI at $295, Rhino at $995. After another evaluation of Solidworks and SCE, I picked up SpaceClaim Engineer / HyperShot HD / Data Exchange I and II. Engineer is ~$2K base, but I think they have a Style edition package that is about $500. I know a few have SCS here, if you were going to drop ~$1K you might think about MoI and SCS, although there are some that can speak about SCS more in depth than me since I am not 100% sure what is taken away from SCE to drive that price down. Hope it helps.