Looped edge selection

3112.55 In reply to 3112.54 
Hi neo,

> I understand but in this case (Looped edge selection)
> an "advance" feature? functions like that should be
> "obvious" IMO

Seems to be more in that category as it is not particularly necessary for smaller sized models and it has just not been that frequently requested compared to other things.

I think eventually it will probably end up with a button for it under the Select menu in the side pane though. I will probably wait a bit before doing that to see how many other variants or similar functions to it will be in there overall.

I don't think that it comes up frequently enough to merit a full in-viewport "heads up" UI though - that type of stuff needs to be reserved for things that used on a much more frequent basis.

If you fill up the priority UI with lesser used things it ends up poorly for the overall usability.

There is some possibility that I will be able to re-evaluate it over time and promote it up there, but leaping to put stuff at that level too early is a very bad move for the long run.

> I was referring to pen tables with finger gestures combo....

The video you linked to was 2 hands directly on a screen, not a pen tablet.

> and funny enough it was my doctors recommendation to use a
> tablet due to a wrist problem I had...

Well, I'm certain that he meant a pen tablet that would be in a roughly similar location as a mousepad, it is unlikely that he was talking about a touch screen like in your linked video.

Definitely for some people gripping a pen rather than a mouse makes them have a better posture. That does not have a whole lot to do with replacing your monitor with a touchscreen one though.

> one of them is price, and how many hardware/software
> vendors could provide solutions at a reasonable cost ?

If there was a high demand by designers for that in a desktop environment, there would have definitely been more focus on bringing cost effective solutions for this to the marketplace.

Did you actually read the wikipedia link?
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touch_screen#Ergonomics_and_usage)

There is not just one ergonomic problem, there are many in addition to arm strain, like stress on the neck if you have to look downwards, smudging of the screen by your hand, and your hand obscuring the content on the screen. These are big problems that won't magically be solved in the next few years.

> But now days you can get an iPod touch for $150.00

Do you seriously consider an iPod touch to be a replacement for a desktop computer for full time all day work?

Really, seriously??

> Oh here is a funny example, Autodesk SketchBook, Users
> have purchased more than 140,000 copies and have downloaded
> more than 900,000 copies of the free version on the App Store...

Yeah, I'm sure it is cool for specialized usage, like being able to at least attempt to draw something while you are on a subway or something like that.

Find me some people who are throwing away their desktop computers and only using Autodesk SketchBook on the iPhone for all their illustration work, and then I will be more impressed!

Again, it is easy to get carried away with the "cool factor" with stuff like this. Sorry to pour cold water, but the reality is harsh.

- Michael

EDITED: 22 Nov 2009 by MICHAEL GIBSON