AI Export?

3108.2 In reply to 3108.1 
Hi Diego,

> Am I missing something, a setting, or is this the expected output?

That's currently the expected output - MoI's current AI export is only pretty basic and only exports simple curve data (including edges of solids and regular curves).

I do want to work on enhancing it in the future but it will probably be a while before that happens.

> but one should not have to recur to a third-party workaround, right?

In an ideal world that would be true, but I just have not had a chance yet to add in every kind of feature to MoI yet.

Also I'm not sure that trying to export a "shaded" AI file out of MoI is going to fit very well with how MoI works - SketchUp is based on polygons and not on smooth surfaces, so it is kind of more clear in there how the shading works, each polygon makes one 2D polygon in the output.

MoI has smooth surfaces in it, like a sphere is not just a collection of polygons, it is an actual smooth sphere.

I guess I could do something like a conversion to polygons and then make little shaded polygons in the generated file.... I'd have to think some about that, it may be a bit strange to do that.

The main goal for improving AI export in the future is actually more on generating a hidden line drawing and not really on trying to make a shaded drawing though.

- Michael