fillet issue

3105.43 In reply to 3105.42 
Hi Burr,

> It was my understanding that you would need to place a
> point on either side of the existing point, as close as possible,
> to keep the curve from changing.

Not necessarily "as close as possible", just fairly nearby it.

> But I cant place them "Exactly even"..

That's ok - it probably doesn't matter that much if they are exactly even or not.

> I would want the 2 curves to be the same, and not slightly different.

Well, if you're going to delete a control point, the result is not going to be 100% completely identical. But if you placed additional knots just fairly close to either side of the place you want to delete, the final curve you get with the deleted control point is going to be very very close to the original one.

When you say "not slightly different", do you mean you do not wish to allow even a 0.0000000000001 difference between the curves or something like that?

If you are really concerned about it for some special reason, place 2 or 3 knots to each side of the one you are going to delete, that should reduce the change to the curve even further when you delete the point.

Probably the easiest thing is to use the new Rebuild command that will be coming in the next beta - it will allow you to specify a tolerance level for how accurate the rebuilt curve hugs the original input curves, and it refits any segments that are tangent to one another as a new single segment automatically.

I've attached the results here of running Rebuild with a tolerance of 0.01 .

At some point I also want to probably update the merge command to maybe make it work to merge tangent segments into larger segments without rebuilding, but it is not yet clear to me if merging lines and arcs together into single curves is a good idea or not.

- Michael