fillet issue

3105.41 In reply to 3105.39 
Hi Danny,

> is MoI eventualy going to implement most of these filleting features?

It should be already, as far as I know... aside from variable radius filleting which I will need to cook up an interface for at some point here.

It's easy to get a kind of wrong overall picture just by looking at a few examples though, much of the difficulty in filleting involves handling a myriad of special cases like many different corner configurations and that only really comes with a large investment of time to handle each kind of thing on a case by case basis.

One thing that I don't currently specifically enable in the IntegrityWare engine is the option to do a piecewise or global merge of the fillet surfaces, which kinds of booleans them into place I guess rather than having them trim into place.

I guess it is possible that could help with a couple of specific cases, but it also seemed to slow things down by quite a bit so it did not seem to be automatically "better" to do it in all cases.

For the most part, I think that filleting problems come from corner configurations that are not handled, not continuing a fillet across the seam of a closed surface (which seems like it may have worked in some cases in the past but is not working 100% anymore) and difficulties with getting a clean intersection between 2 extended fillet surfaces in near tangent conditions.

Of these, I'm hoping that the "crossing the seam" case may be the best potential to try and focus on getting fixed later. That seems to be the most common problem, so if it can get fixed I think it would be a pretty major gain.

- Michael