Stretching an object

3090.6 In reply to 3090.3 
Hi Mark,

> The trouble is that there are multiple things that I want to stretch (extrude)
> at the same time, so there are multiple surfaces that need to be
> selected at once.

Well, it isn't necessary to select them all at the same time, just select them one at a time if that is easier for you to select.

One note - to select faces you usually need to zoom in a ways so that you can grab a piece of the face that is not nearby any edge, because edges get precedence and if you click nearby an edge the edge will get selected rather than a face.

But just go one by one and extrude each one by either the same distance, or you can also use the mouse to snap the extrusion point to the end of the first one you did to get them all the same distance.

Is there some special reason why you have to do them all at once rather than one at a time?

But also in this particular case, it looks like the pieces that you want to stretch are simple boards that do not have any holes in them, is that correct?

In that case you don't have to build extrusions, you can use Scale1D, or even more simply just use the edit frame in the Top view, like this:

So note there that after selecting the parts to stretch (which you can do with one right-to-left window selection) I then clicked one time on the grip to switch the scaling origin from the "scale from center" mode, to the "scale from corner" mode, if you look at the scale origin marker you can see it change after I clicked there. Then just grab the grip and drag it in the direction you want to stretch.

- Michael
Attachments: