Ship hull making

Hi Mark,

Indeed, for years I was struggling with lofting and sweeping, with less than perfect results, to say the least. Then I started working on submarine hulls and on airplanes. I discovered rather by accident than design that network curves worked like a charm!

One thing I failed to include in my earlier post is the following: You do not need to have an oval shape for the bottom closed curve. It can be square, which is more appropriate for a warship if the hull has a keel that is integral to it (many WW2 ships have that). In that case, the network method I recommend generates a troubled area at the stern because the flat portion under the hull and along the keel goes on across the stern, which is definitely undesirable.

The remedy is simple enough enough: the Network command generates two edges that materialize the sharp edges of the keel, all the way across the stern. This makes it easy to remove that portion and then blend the edges, which produces a smooth stern. alternatively, one can model a pointier stern if so is desired.

There are refinements too in the other delicate area on the other end of the ship: the stem. One should not want to make it pointy. Even the sharpest prows are not razor-edged. They are blunt to a point if seen from up close. Other possibilities include a bulge etc., for which specific techniques can be used.

Feel free to ask should you have specific needs. I might have gone through the same difficult points before.
Attachments: