Fillet Improvements, Lofting, Also Thea Plugin?

3046.2 In reply to 3046.1 
Hi OSTexo,

> Will this be cleaned up in v3 so nubs like me can end
> up with a good filleting job?

I hope so, but it is hard to tell exactly when it will happen. I'm dependent on another company to make those filleting improvements in the geometry library that I use.

> 2. As I get into lofting I get some pretty unusual twisting
> behavior between top and bottom edges, as if the automatic
> way of doing things is trying to turn the model inside out.

Do you have an example you could post? Maybe it was a bug.

I actually did just fix up something in this area for the current v2 beta where it could get confused when the Loft was really skinny shaped, see here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2968.8

> Are any improvements planned to be able to direct the loft in
> a certain direction, or am I missing something?

You actually do already have full control over the twisting and directions - when you are at the "Loft options" prompt in the final stage of Loft, there are seam points that appear in the 3D viewport that you can drag to change how the seam matching works, and you can also click on profile sections to flip their directions if the automatic align function did not do a good job of it.

If you have profiles that are kind of scattered around with a lot of distance and variation between them, that can make it difficult for the automatic untwister to do a good job and you may need to manually do the alignment and flipping. But the controls for it are all there now.

Again, if you can post (or e-mail to me at moi@moi3d.com) an example of where you were having a problem that would help a lot to determine what was happening in that particular case.

> 3. Any chance of a Thea Render plugin being developed?

I don't have any plans for this currently myself - doesn't Thea Render support common file formats like OBJ and stuff like that?

It's not really feasible for me to do plug-ins for other systems, there are just too many of them. Instead I focus on trying to do a good job exporting data to standard file formats.

- Michael