ArraycrvPLUS

3034.5 In reply to 3034.4 
Hi Jesse,

> but there are a few useful things there that would be nice to have.

If you could pick out which ones are the most useful, that could help to focus some ideas for the future!

Anything else other than a "graduated array" ?

> Perhaps if there was a way to control the distance between
> objects irrespective of their size, so that during a scale array,
> you could maintain a certain spacing between
> objects while they graduate in size as they are arrayed on
> a surface.

I've definitely heard about this one from a few jewelers... The thing is, that the regular array functions actually do not need to know about the object's size specifically, they just make copies from a base point to a target point.

The kind that you are talking about here would be the one that would need to be aware of the sizes of objects since it would be adapting the array with something specific to the object's size.

One problem with this is that I'm not 100% sure of how this kind of array is defined - when you say "maintain a certain spacing", how exactly is that spacing measured? Is it distance along the surface or path curve? Or something like the "closest point" distance between each object?

The objects are rotating around with different orientations, right? So how would the distance be measured taking that orientation change into account?

I'd think that this would probably fit under some kind of special plugin in the future, but if I can get some more information on exactly how it is supposed to work, that would definitely increase the chances of me being able to add it in! :)

- Michael