ArraycrvPLUS

3034.29 In reply to 3034.27 
Hi Jesse,

> I don't know if the model that I'm attaching is a great
> example, but I hope it will give you a better idea of how
> it should work.

Yup, that helps give me some kind of reference, thanks.

So seeing that brings up another question - would you want to specify this kind of thing by telling it a distance to use between each item, or would you want to tell it something like the total number of items and have it figure out the distances automatically?

The second type (give number of items and have distance calculated) may be quite a bit more difficult for me to make in this case, so that may be something that I could not make initially at least.

> Yes, those would be the main parameters, but you could
> also include an offset distance relative to the surface, in
> case you wanted the stones to be buried into the surface a
> few fractions of a mm.

What I'm thinking is that you could specify a previously drawn circle as one of the inputs to the command.

The center of the circle would be used as the "base point", for the spot that will correspond to the location on the surface. So you could position the stone in relation to the circle to control a vertical offset. The circle would also control the diameter as well.

> This is probably kind of "out there" but would it be possible to
> do something like a grid array but have the objects lay out on
> a curvy surface, positioned normal to the surface?

Maybe, but it's a lot harder to think about how that would work. I'd like to focus on making a curve one work first and see how that goes.

Oh yeah, how are changes in size supposed to work? Would it work to specify a scale factor that is applied to each instance? Like for example you would put in Scale factor: 0.9 and that would mean that each item would be scaled down by 90% in size from the previous one. That's probably the easiest way for me to make it function, but that also means that you don't have a specific control over the size of the very last one, its size would be dependent on the number of items that were produced.

- Michael