Silhouette

Hi All,

As you all know the new Silhouette tool has been discussed here and as explained, Michael's implemented this tool mainly for visualisation for AI, like OSTexo shows here, Michael also mentions,
quote:
Also there are actually some other uses for silhouette generation such as generating parting lines for mold making.

Which I thought, was the only thing it was used for, now I know of two uses :)

I modeled a basic spoon (3dm attached) and if I was designing a mould for it the first thing that would be done would be the parting faces for the mould to establish the two halves, using the Silhouette tool produces the 'parting lines' very easily, indicating any potential undercuts in the product, which requires additional mechanical movements in the mould to release which increases the cost of the mould, also useful when designing plastic products.

The spoon is straight forward for moulding and the part line is generated in the TOP view (Line of draw), which is the way it will be seating and ejected from the mould, the part line would of been pretty labour intensive to do without the Silhouette tool.

Below is one half of a four cavity Spoon Mould once establishing the part line.
I started this just to check out the Silhouette tool and got a bit carried away, I might try and finish it, so it's a WIP.

As usual, any questions, feel free.

Thanks for this very useful tool, Michael.

Cheers
~Danny~

EDITED: 26 Jan 2010 by DANTAS

Attachments:

Image Attachments:
Size: 136.7 KB, Downloaded: 122 times, Dimensions: 1352x976px