V2 beta Oct-19-2009 available now

3000.34 In reply to 3000.16 
Hi Michael,

>>Right now the Silhouette command does not create duplicates of edges that are silhouettes

Ok. That's true, but only with some View option. For instance, it produces a couple of "duplicated curves" on edges of simple box in case of View:Top option. Yes, the curves are actually in the different height, but only until exporting to AI...

>>The way AI export works, is it exports all curves and edges in the model as curves in the flattened AI file.

When using Export command? Nope. You have to use SaveAs command to export all curves and edges to AI. But I think the natural way to save only a part of object (e.g. outline) is using Export command and not SaveAs one. Especially, when there are selected curves after finishing Silhouette command and you "can't" manipulate the viewport without destroying the proper silhouette.

>>it would make it pretty easy to get duplicate curves if you just did a SaveAs to AI format.

Yes. On the other hand it is pretty easy to get "no" curves if you just do an Export to AI format.

>>I can probably put in an option for whether to duplicate edges that are silhouettes or not though

I guess it would be possible to just select all edges that are silhouettes and add them to the selection after Silhouette command finishes. After that it would be clear what curve/edge is intended to be exported to the AI file (and there will be no duplicated curve objects).

Well, I have rarely been satisfied with result of Silhouette command in Rhino as well. Maybe I have never fully understood the essential difference among the meaning of words: outline, silhouette, contour or boundary when talking about CG :)

I would expect these results doing silhouette:

...and optionally with hidden line detection (different line style or color or Style) in the future.

Petr
Attachments:

Image Attachments:
Size: 12.1 KB, Downloaded: 2 times, Dimensions: 446x438px