STL question

2984.7 In reply to 2984.6 
Hi Michael,
I thought I'd post some of my findings for you and the other users.

After I succesfully uploaded and ordered the model with the specs we discussed, I was researching the Shapeways site a bit more.

Reviewing a tutorial for preparing solidworks model data for stl, the guy spilled the beans that the shapeway servers are interpreting all units as "METERS", and that it is imperative to select "Millimeters" for your upload.

I reset my model to mm with scaling "on" in MoI and remeshed the stl with an angle of 4-divide larger than 3 and got a poly count of 92,600 as opposed to the previous 46,000, and the server accepted my model. I ordered 2 more test pieces to compare any differences.

In the tutorial, the guy had mentioned that he has been unable to get anything over the 100,000 poly count to upload and that anything coming close to that figure, took hours for their server to verify. Mine was ready instantly!

I then thought I would try a test, so I re-meshed the model (in mm) with an angle of 3-divide larger than 2, with a result of 184,000 polys and the model was accepted immediately!!! :)

I didnt re-order another sample with this newer resolution as I wanted to wait to see the results of the first 2 comparisons.

I just wanted to point out again that MoI's mesher is INCREDIBLE!

Thanks for the help there. (If I get any dramatic results on this further, I'll post back for anybody interested)