List of objects ?

2944.8 In reply to 2944.7 
Hi Pilou,

> Your system allows to give a same name at different objets
> (not in the same time with a separated selection) why not :)

Yup, that's a feature! :)

That allows you to use object naming as a kind of category grouping if you want.

Also it's used at export time when saving to a mesh format, objects with the same name will be exported to the same mesh object (unless you disable that under Options > Import/Export > Combine samed named objects). That helps to enable more control over how the mesh data is organized.

> But does it possible to have an alert message who say
> something like "Name is yet existing!" when you create
> a new object?

Hmmm, well those kinds of warning messages can be very annoying and disruptive, especially if they pop up all the time when you are trying to use a feature!

I generally try to avoid such interruptions unless they are really very necessary.

In this case, it seems to be very normal to not warn, I just tried several other programs that allow naming objects in them: Rhino, ViaCAD, Cinema4D and Silo, and none of those pop up any warning if you give a second object the same name as an existing one.

Do you know of any other program existing that puts up a warning for that?

> So another alert message "Carreful you erase some objects with
> the same(nature, colors) name!" so "are you sure: Yes / no?" ;)

Well, the same thing as above applies to this one - it seems like that would probably be very annoying and I don't see that happen with any other program.

Again, do you have an example of any other program that has this behavior?

> Of course you have the up right side "window infos" with written
> "3 solids" but we never think to read it ;)

Well, if this is a big concern for you, you can try harder to look over there so you can know if you have more than one thing selected...

That's probably the best solution because it will not cause interruptions and annoyance.

- Michael