List of objects ?

2944.10 In reply to 2944.9 
Hi Pilou,

> in Sketchup you can't create a component if a previus
> name exist ;) so alert message !

A "component" in sketchup is not the same as a simple "object name" in MoI - in SketchUp components are a special kind of thing, like an instance definition and not just a regular object.

I don't think that SketchUp has the concept of simple object names in it which are just a property of a single object. If it did I guess it would be under the "Entity Info" dialog.

> but in very big project seems that can be helpful to be warned

Hmmm, well it's hard to guess about these kinds of things. So far nobody doing big projects has seemed to run into an issue with it.

Since the standard behavior for other applications is to not warn, it seems that would be strange to have MoI behave so differently.

> a little trick will be not to make a message but just change the
> color of the text during the typing ;)
> Normal color if any previus name exists, red color... (or bold ) if
> it's exact name at the end of type

That would also probably be pretty confusing - when things suddenly and mysteriously change color, it makes people tend to stop and think "what in the world is going on, I have no idea... what a strange software", and does not make them automatically think "oh I see that is the same name as elsewhere".

I try to avoid using colors in these kinds of mysterious ways to cut down on that kind of confusion and uncertain feelings.

> PS And about the enligting of name selected
> on the browser? (see previous image)

Maybe in the future... But there is another situation that needs to be planned for - what if there are multiple objects with that name in the model, and if only some of them are selected and not all? If there is a selection state shown in the browser, it needs to also deal with this kind of mixed selection display.

For hide/show, that is when you get the "half of an eye" display. If there was a selection indicator it would need something similar.

- Michael