question for the future

2913.9 In reply to 2913.6 
Hi andras, also just one other note - one reason why I have not done a direct DXF export yet is that it is a fairly complex format with a lot of different ways to store data in it.

Some applications only work on certain kinds of entities, so there needs to be a variety of options for how to control the output, like should curves be written as SPLINE entities, or broken into line segments and written as a POLYLINE entity, probably with some way to control the density of the generated lines, then whether it should be projected to be 2D or not, ...

In general things with a lot of options tend to be more difficult for me to create, so they take additional time.

Also even another complication with DXF is that it is possible to store polygon mesh data in them, which is then a much different kind of thing rather than focusing on curve/wire output.

As time has gone on, it seems to have gotten more clear that people are asking for DXF/DWG output for 2D data though and not mesh data, so if I don't worry about trying to make meshes that will probably help.

- Michael