Tablet?

2877.5 In reply to 2877.3 
Hi NightCabbage,

I come from the 2D world (originally trained as a technical illustrator back in the pre-computer days). Like yourself 3D is a hobby.

I have used a tablet since the late 80's and hardly ever use a mouse these days. I am much quicker with the tablet than the mouse and it helps to keep my RSI at bay.

As you are already used to a mouse I think you should be able to adapt quite easily to the tablet. I have never really had any problems myself. Do you currently draw with the mouse? If so then the disconnection is the same. But the input is miles better. I loaned my old Intuos 1 to my son who is a programmer. He has now requested that he gets one at work. Once you are used to it, it is just so much easier and faster. I have mine set to relative mode so that it acts like a mouse and use it for everything. The only time I use a mouse is for applications that require me to have a 3 button mouse. Of course MoI is not like that ;-)

As far as tablet size goes, any particular reason for the large version. You don't always need a large size. I had an A3 Intuos at work and it was far too big. I now have an A4 version for home and and A5 at work. The A4 equates to the new Intuos 4 large as far as I can see.

A lot of it depends on your style of drawing. If you make wide sweeping movements then you need a larger tablet. If you draw more with the wrist then a smaller one may work. There are many artists using the smaller A5 or A5 wide with no problems. Takes up a lot less desk space too.

Also bear in mind the size of the 12WX. You will not see much on the small screen. It only has 1280x800 pixel resolution. For 2D drawing in Photoshop or Painter I found I needed at least 1600x1200 or it felt like painting through a letter box ;-)

For that you need to get the 21in version - but that is pretty expensive.

I highly recommend the the Intuos range. Cheaper tablets just don't cut it and also don't have all the features.

I hope this helps you make your decision.

Regards
Tony

(aka HamSoles)